Discover how to craft online surveys and gather insights efficiently. Whether you’re interested in Google Forms’ free version for basic online surveys or want to delve into paid options like SurveyMonkey, this article has you covered.
How to Create an Online Survey Using Google Forms (Free Version)
Google Forms embodies the intuitive nature of Google products. It’s a versatile and free tool allowing users to craft surveys with diverse question formats.
Creating a Google Form is effortless, thanks to clear visual cues that guide you through the process. While slight variations might arise from updates, here’s a fundamental overview to help you begin:
- Access Google Forms directly or through the apps menu on the top right of the Google homepage. Alternatively, within Sheets, Docs, or Slides, use the File tab to initiate a new Forms document, just like starting any other Google file.
- You can start with a blank form or pick from various templates. Noteworthy options include Event Feedback, Customer Feedback, Course Evaluation, and Exit Ticket templates, all excellent for surveys.
- Follow visual prompts to add info, questions, and multimedia. Modify template sections easily by clicking on them, including the page title.
- You can personalize survey questions, opting for multiple-choice or short-answer formats. A blank form lets you customize the title and initial question.
- Two menus facilitate customization: one on the right for form sections and questions, and another in the top right corner. The side menu allows effortless additions of questions, sections, images, or videos. You can also import questions from previous Google Forms in Drive.
- In the top menu, customize the form’s theme and preview how it looks. While modifying the theme, you can choose from preloaded header photos or upload a personal image for a unique touch.
Sharing the Form
Sharing your form becomes effortless, with various ways to distribute it: through email, a direct link, embedding it on a web page, Facebook, or Twitter. To start sharing, click the Send button in the top right corner. Within this menu, dedicated options for each sharing method are available.
You can even opt for automatic email response collection by checking the corresponding box. Sharing on Twitter or Facebook is equally simple – enable the feature by clicking on the respective social media icon, and anticipate a flurry of incoming responses.
How to Review Responses
To review received responses, return to the form and access them through the form editor. Click on the Responses menu at the top center to see a detailed breakdown of data, categorized by question and responder. The Settings section offers additional response settings, like collecting email addresses and sending respondents copies of their answers.
Easier Start with Google Forms
To access Google Forms’ full features, all you need is a Google account. If you’re already a Gmail user, it’s a seamless process with no extra sign-up steps, password creation, or confirmation emails. Google’s integration is a standout feature.
On the dashboard, you have two choices: create a new form from scratch or select from 17 basic templates. Though the templates are limited, they cover various data collection needs.
Opting for a custom form offers 11 question types, including date, time, and file uploads. This versatility is valuable for different purposes like IT ticket systems.
Seamless Integration with Google Workspace
Combining Google Forms with the complete Google Workspace offers numerous benefits. Integration with tools like Google Sheets streamlines data collection and analysis. Google Drive ensures secure storage and access to responses.
Real-time editing, commenting, and sharing are facilitated, while Google Calendar helps schedule events based on survey data. This synergy empowers users to streamline workflows and enhance productivity, creating deeper insights from surveys.
Creating a Survey Using SurveyMonkey (Paid Version)
While Google Forms offers simplicity, SurveyMonkey presents a wealth of customizable features beneath the surface. These advanced options, though requiring a monthly fee, can be worthwhile for comprehensive online surveys.
Google Forms provides a straightforward experience with limited support beyond basic templates. In contrast, SurveyMonkey introduces a time-saving “Build it for me” feature. By specifying survey type, target audience, and goals, along with template selection and branding, SurveyMonkey streamlines the process significantly.
Let’s begin with SurveyMonkey.
- Step 1: Create an Account Visit the SurveyMonkey website (www.surveymonkey.com) to sign up for a free account. If you already have one, simply log in.
- Step 2: Start a New Survey Upon logging in, you’ll reach your SurveyMonkey dashboard. Click “+ Create Survey” to initiate a new survey.
- Step 3: Choose a Template SurveyMonkey offers ready-made templates or the option to start from scratch. Select a matching template or “Start From Scratch.”
- Step 4: Customize Your Survey Adjust the survey title, questions, and answer choices. Explore various question types, like multiple-choice and open-ended.
- Step 5: Add and Organize Questions To include more questions, click “+ Add Question.” Rearrange by dragging and dropping.
- Step 6: Design Your Survey Enhance visuals by changing colors, fonts, or adding logos and images.
- Step 7: Survey Settings Modify settings like anonymity, required questions, and response limits.
- Step 8: Test Your Survey Preview and adjust your survey before sharing.
- Step 9: Save and Exit Click “Save” to preserve your work for later.
- Step 10: Distribute Your Survey Choose distribution methods like direct links, emails, embedding, or social media.
- Step 11: Analyze Responses Track and assess feedback in real-time with SurveyMonkey’s reporting tools. Export data for deeper analysis.
Google Forms provides simplicity but may lack advanced features for ongoing surveys. Google Workspace enhances collaboration and productivity.
For intricate business surveys, platforms like SurveyMonkey or specialized solutions offer more customization and analytical capabilities. The right choice depends on your needs.
Elevate Collaboration with Google Workspace. Unleash Efficiency Today!
Explore Google Workspace